Ethiopian Style Soup
– 2 tbsp margarine
– 1 large sweet onion, diced
– 1 1/2 cup sliced shallots
– 6 garlic cloves, chopped
– 2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
– 1 tsp turmeric
– 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
– 2 tsp cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp nutmeg
– 1/2 tsp cloves
– berbere to taste
– 2 cups red lentils, rinsed
– 10 cups of chaga water! Bring to boil 10 cups of water with a handful of chaga chunks…
Keep your chunks for reuse by putting them in a ceramic or glass container in the fridge.
– 6-8 cups chopped squash (sweet potato or carrots)
– 1/4 chopped fresh parsley (more for garnish)
– salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt butter in a large stock pot over med-hi heat. Add onions and sauté for a few min, until the onions get a nice golden brown on the edges (don’t burn them, though). Add shallots, garlic, and ginger and reduce heat to med-lo. Cook for about 20-25 min, until the mixture has nice brown colour.
2. Add spices and lentils and raise heat back to med-hi, stirring to mix everything well. When sizzling (the spices will stick a bit), add 6 cups of the chaga water. Bring to bubbling, then cover and reduce heat to low. Let cook for at least 30 min (longer is nicer, if you have the time, so that the lentils and onions can break down), stirring regularly.
3. Add the remaining four cups of chaga water along with the squash and parsley, bring to bubbling over med-hi heat, then cover and reduce heat. Let simmer for 20-30 min, or until squash is cooked through. Adjust seasonings to taste, garnish, and serve.